Sunday 19 August 2018

8 Perfect Changes I Wish for USM

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.

Assalamualaikum.

If you’ve read my profile at the sidebar of this blog, you’ll know that I’m currently studying in Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Penang. I felt grateful for having the chance to study in USM. The university has its own good points and I can’t think of many negative points throughout my two years of studying there. I’m going to be a third year student starting next month and I’m looking forward to that.

However, there are some things that I secretly wish the university can change. Some of them might sounds a bit out of the question, but I think it’s only logic to have these things in the university. We are hoping to be a developing country, right?

The authority in USM should probably consider these changes in order to step up one level ahead from the other universities in Malaysia. Of course, these ideas are only what I want personally, but I guess it’s not a bad idea to share it here. Hence, I have come up with this list of 8 perfect changes I wish for USM.

1. Kitchens in Every Room @ A Shared Kitchen

As one of the hostel residents council president, I should not have come up with this idea at the first place. In USM, it is prohibited to cook in the hostel, especially in the room. However, I think the government or the authority should invest some money in order to make this a real thing. I think other countries have already implemented kitchens in the hostel rooms. If it’s too impossible to apply this in each room, then a shared kitchen is a good idea too.

I mean, even if it’s prohibited to cook in the room, students are still doing it. Cooking is necessary to save the students budget and also a way to train us to become independent. Although I’m not that good in cooking, I think that it is a necessity to have a place for students to cook in the hostel. I know it’s quite difficult to create a cooking place with the condition of our hostels. I just hope that someday, someone will eventually find a way to make proper kitchens for the students.


2. A Safety Box in Each Room

Safety has also become an issue lately in our hostel. People steal laptops and money without a trace. I don’t know how to actually solve this problem. I’ve reported the issue to the higher ups but I think the same thing tend to happen every year. In order to solve this problem, I hope the university can provide safety boxes in every room. I know it is expensive but it is also logic, right? It is impossible to open a safety box unless the thief knows the password. This solution may reduce the possibilities of laptops and money getting stolen when you’re not in your room. You also don’t have to be anxious most of the time if you have a safety box in your room.


3. An Air-Conditioned Room for Selected Student Representatives Council MPP @ MPD

This one is just a biased wish since I’m in MPD. But I don’t think it’s wrong to provide special rooms for selected students. These students do contribute to the university so a little privilege won’t do any harm. Of course when I mentioned selected means that only those that are actually doing their job instead of the ones that are lazing around. I’ve mentioned this thing before to the office staffs and of course they just laughed at this idea.


4. A Lost and Found Counter @ Centre

USM students lost many of their valuable things most of the time, especially stuffs like water bottles, matric cards, pencil cases and pendrives. Sometimes you can see people advertise the lost items on Facebook or WhatsApp. But most of the time, you won’t be able to retrieve the lost items. Hence, I think the university should create a lost and found counter where people can drop by the items they found on the street. People that lost their items can go to the counter to find their valuable items. It’s more convenient instead of advertising it publicly online. Why bother the hard way when you can do it with an easier way?


5. A Pool and Gym for Women

USM already has these facilities. However, I’ve never been to any of them even though I’m dying to. I’ve once went to a hotel that provides pool for Muslimah and it is very convenient to use. I think the university should also make an indoor pool or the one that is not a public view. Muslimah really needs this type of pool and I will give the university a big applause and respect if they ever make this true. A public gym is also not convenient for us to use. I don’t really know about the gym but I think they have an allocated time for women at the gym. However it’s usually packed in evening. I just think that having a separated gym is better.


6. Improve Uptown Mall USM into A Real Mall

If I’m not mistaken, there are universities that have large malls inside the campus area. One of them is the Varsity Mall in UUM. I’ve never been there though. A friend of mine used to brag to me about the mall in her college. I know that we already have Bukit Jambul Complex, Queensbay and other malls nearby. But still, having a mall inside the campus area is so much fun, convenient and time saving.


7. A Bus Route to USM Museum and Art Gallery

To be honest, the main reason why I do not visit the museum frequently is because there is no bus heading that way. It’s probably because not many students go to the higher part of the hill. There’s also the Bumbledee Café on top of the hill. Well I think maybe we can have a bus route somehow around the area. Maybe not every day but once in a week is good enough. The lecturers kept asking us students to go to the museum but I don’t really have the initiative and enthusiasm to walk there.


8. An Application @ Portal to Publicize All USM Club and Societies Events

I don’t think Facebook and WhatsApp is enough for this one. I think it’s quite unorganized to have posters of events in your phone gallery most of the time. I don’t know if we already have any apps or portal that combines the university clubs events. I prefer browsing a specific website to see the latest events. I’m not referring to the USM main programs. I’m referring to even the slightest club activities like a hiking trip, a garage sale, talks and things like that. I think this is a more organized way to promote the club events. I really hope someone can create this in future.



Well, that’s my list for the things I wish to see in my university. I really hope that the first five ideas can be accepted somehow in the future. I think it’s already time for us to take a step ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment